Wednesday, September 18, 2013

We Are The Tide

We Are The Tide by Michael Regina


It started out with a trip to several coastal cities. A Hyundai, a sailboat, bicycles, and two best friends spanned the days. The kind of trip you can never forget. But what are memories but figments of your own perception? We recall from our own design. Is that constructive or muddied? I suppose it depends on the building blocks laid forth. In this case, the structure was built upon the beginning of a connection never to be undone. The kind of blocks you can’t help but forever carry them on your back, and that is a blessing and a curse.

We have built the foundation, and now it is time to lay the outer walls, the windows, the roof, the garden and begin the life we’d always imagined. But like anything in this world there must be an end, there must be a point where all ceases. The finale lies in the future when all comes to rest at the feet of greatness and construction of every moment behind us. The key is to live in the present, in this very moment. As Ezra Pound had said in relation to Walt Whitman’s new style, “It was you that broke the new wood,/ Now is a time for carving.”


2 comments:

  1. For the blog I wanted to have a very simplistic but solid design between the colors, font, etc as to display the images and text as the most important facet. Often times I find some websites with content lose power in the actual content because of how cluttered the actual website it.

    As far as the narrative and the image, it is a shot I took a few years ago and is in a series of ‘Pictures of Heather Walking Away’. All in interesting environments with the same sort of frame. I wanted to expand upon the idea of never seeing her face and always have the same perspective, and hopefully, enticing the reader to want more.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really like the picture you chose because it only shows the back of a person walking away, allowing the audience to make up his or her own idea of how the person is feeling. I would say you definitely achieved your goal of the reader wanting more. Your layout is very simple, which I also like because it draws more focus to the picture and text, which I think in turn, makes the picture seem more lively. Before reading any of the text going along with the picture, it looks like someone going for a relaxing stroll down a beautiful pier- either in a familiar setting at home, or on vacation.
    Then, upon reading the related text, you explain that the picture was taken from a vacation, which coincides with my idea of the person being relaxed. I also found the fact that you mentioned everything coming to an end very interesting and imaginative to the picture. It makes me have a bit of a darker perspective about the picture- that the person in the picture is walking to “the end.”
    Two things that I am not so sure about, however, are where this takes place and the title, “Neon Bible.” I thought about the title for a while, and the only conclusion I could make about it is that it is like a book about living life brightly, or having some type of positive outlook on life. This goes along with one of the lines from your text explaining the picture, “We have built the foundation, and now it is time to lay the outer walls, the windows, the roof, the garden and begin the life we’d always imagined.” This then made me reconsider what I had originally thought about you talking about “the end” in a negative way- now it makes it seem like the end is just something natural. Still, things are a bit unclear, I would recommend adding something else to make your title tie in more to the picture and text. Overall, I really liked your blog post, good luck with the rest of it!

    ReplyDelete